7 Blogs About All Things WordPress

One of the fun things about being a blogger is there’s always something new to learn regarding what you can do with your blog. Plug-ins, themes, design elements — there’s just lots of great new stuff cropping up all the time.

WordPress — which is used by many a fine blog, including The Bloggers’ Bulletin, and my blog, The Communications Strategist — is a popular platform. Consequently numerous websites are

devoted to serving its fan base. Here are some of my favorites:

Lorelle on WordPress

Lorelle VanFossen calls herself a “blog evangelist” and here she spreads the good word on WordPress. She knows her material, and in fact helped develop WordPress.org Codex. Aside from being a good source for WordPress tips and techniques, Lorelle offers general blogging advice and she has an ear to the ground — if there’s a WP alert, she’s on the case.

ThemeLab

If you’re looking for a free theme be sure to take a gander at ThemeLab. It features in excess of 100 selections. If you’re a one-of-a kind person, the site offers a custom service for a fee. There’s also a tutorial section with easy to understand step-by-step articles.

We Love WP

We Love WP goes by the tagline “Showcasing WordPress powered sites.” That’s about right: Its content is comprised of links to blogs built on the WordPress platform. A great source for design ideas and inspiration.

wpbeginner

If you’re new to the game wpbeginner is a goldmine of information for how to pick a host, select a theme, recommended plugins and more. Meantime, even if you’ve been at it for a while, you can still learn from the many articles and resources here.

WPCandy

WPCandy contains a deep cache of information on the latest themes, plugins, plus tutorials and tips. The gents behind it have also launched two related sites: WPCoder for developers, and WPInspiration (which like We Love WP, showcases blogs from around the internet).

WPShout

A design development blog by Alex Denning, who has created a number of WordPress themes. The content runs from beginner to advanced levels while the writing style is friendly and down- to-earth.

WordPress.TV

A bevy of how-to advice, presentations, interviews, tutorials and support videos by the people responsible for WordPress.org.

What do you think of these WordPress blogs? Are there others you’d like to recommend?

7 comments for “7 Blogs About All Things WordPress

1. January 7, 2010 at 9:37 am

As a follow on to your mention of ThemeLab, may I perhaps mention Suffusion 3.0.6? It’s free and is similar in many ways to Thesis, a popular premium theme. I have used it when people on a low budget wanted a solid site as it does give a lot of flexibility.

I’ll be reviewing it shortly, along with other ‘must have’ plugins and resources for WordPress.

2. January 7, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Nic,
    Thanks for the tip and yes, please do let us know about good free themes. Seems like Thesis is the theme many strive to compare to, though it is not free. I am looking to change themes for my personal blog and one of the tip top criteria is that it must be flexible and readily understood by a non-techie, such as myself. I have one in mind but will give Suffusion a look, too.

3. January 7, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I feel kind of bad mentioning my own site, but I think teachmewp.com is a great wordpress site – I post weekly tutorials about how to do stuff in wordpress. Lately I’ve been branching out to some non-wordpress but related kinds of things too.

4. January 7, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Dave,
    Well see, if you had just said “check out this site”, we would be none the wiser that you were self-promoting 😉 Hey, it’s OK, your site definitely fits the topic at hand. And you’re doing podcasts, which is a cool way to go at it.

5. January 7, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I too have been searching for a theme similar to the Thesis theme. Thanks Nic for that great suggestion. I’ll be sure to check that out.

My problem is I’m not exactly sure how to transfer everything over to the new theme, or is it something that will automatically happen? I’ve been too scared to try it….lol…..

Deni, great and very helpful article. Thanks for all the sites that can help me make this transition much easier I’m sure. Just tired of the Magazine WordPress theme I currently have. Ready for a new look.

Enjoy the rest of your day and thanks!

Deb :)

6. January 7, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Deb,
    My understanding is that if you are using one of the themes supplied by the WP.com site you go to your dashboard, then into appearance, pick a theme, don’t forget to preview just to be sure you’ll like the look, and then hit activate. It is possible there is more to it depending on widgets and such. I am not absolutely certain, but there should be resources about it on the official WP site and also on some of the blogs noted in my post. You can also send a message to WP support. It may take a day or so for them to get back, but they do follow up. In any case, so far as I know, is it is not that big a deal, so don’t let fear hold you back.

7. January 10, 2010 at 8:17 pm