What Sandra Bullock Can Teach Us About Social Media

Hi. My name is Susyn Elise Duris and I’m an actor. I’ll be writing a regular column about Marketing and Social Media from the viewpoint of an actor.

I have been very impressed with Sandra Bullock during the current awards season. While I don’t know whether she will win the Academy Award for her role in “The Blind Side”, she will definitely be nominated. Thinking about Sandra Bullock and how she has conducted herself through the awards season reminds me of how we should conduct ourselves as we navigate the social media waters.

Be gratious.

As she has been picking up the Golden Globe, SAG and other awards for her work in “The Blind Side”, Sandra Bullock has been nothing less than genuinely grateful. Comments like “Thank you for making me proud and just accepting me” at the SAG Awards last night show that.

As social marketers, it is pertinent that we publicly show our gratitude. When someone shares something that you find interesting, someone retweets one of your tweets, someone reaches out to you, be grateful for that person and tell them so. That one thing will make you feel great, and earn you many respect points. Remember to be genuinely grateful – be grateful and don’t expect something in return.

Help others.

Sandra Bullock donated $1,000,000 towards Haiti earthquake relief, has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Warren Easton High School, New Orleans’ oldest high school, to recover from the flooding as a result of Hurricane Katrina and she has supported her husband, Jesse James, in his fight to retain custody of his daughter from a previous marriage, to name a few examples of her amazing generosity.

If someone needs assistance or advice, help them. If someone asks a question, engage with them. If someone puts something out there and you don’t know how to help, retweet them or pass on their request to your friends and colleagues. Share articles or other resources of interest. It’s the right thing to do.

Be Professional.

Things that have always impressed me about Sandra Bullock are that she is prepared, she comes ready to work, she’s consistent and she’s engaging.

When you blog, are on Facebook Twitter, LInkedin or the many other social networks out there, remember to be professional…

• Do engage with others whether or not they engaged with you.
  • Do set goals with social media – do you know what you want from social media and how you plan to get there?
  • Do prepare how you will interact on social networks? And remember to always have the mantra “how am I adding value today?” on top of your mind.
  • Do show others why you should be trusted and they will have a reason to engage with you. Make it easy for them to help you, remember “Help me help you” from Jerry Maguire? And, remember, to be consistent. The three things that will make you be remembered are being grateful, being helpful and being consistent.
  • Do bring your A-game and be ready to work. Planting seeds and taking small steps today will lead to a great harvest tomorrow. Remember, to pace yourself with your social media play and don’t be impatient or rude when posting.
  • Do remember to edit and review what you say prior to posting.
  • Do have fun.

Remember to be gratious, help others and be professional and you’ll come across as a social media award winner!

9 comments for “What Sandra Bullock Can Teach Us About Social Media

1. January 25, 2010 at 12:50 am

Hey Susyn,
    Thanks for the amazing post. Its so very true to be gracious. You have given a very good (real)example about Twitter ( RT ).

2. January 25, 2010 at 8:37 am

Hi Kunjal:

Thanks for reading and for your comments. Have a super week!!

Susyn

3. January 25, 2010 at 9:07 am

Thanks Susyn, these are VERY important points. I am amazed these days when I see people being very rude and posting personal comments about other people. Don’t they get it? We are supposed to be building positive reputations on the Internet and one foolish posting on an extablished social media platform can damage one’s reputation.

4. January 25, 2010 at 11:52 am

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Nils! Have a great day!

5. January 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Wow Susyn,

What an amazing article on how to use social media. It seems each day I learn more and am exposed to a higher level of interaction with like minded professionals such as yourself.

I love how you tied social media together with the actions of another. Although Sandra Bullock is a famous actor, we all can learn from her manner of presenting herself to not only her audience but humankind in general.

Thank you for your observance and sharing your thoughts. As for me, I will remember each point you made and implement them daily to help someone else who may not have read this awesome article.

Carla J Gardiner

6. January 25, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Carla – what a lovely message – thanks!

7. January 26, 2010 at 9:06 am

Susyn

Thanks for this but I am not sure if I get the message. That Sandra Bullock is gracious and so forth is surely true but she did not do it through social media, she used the TV stage for thanking about the awards, did it on WEFdavos 2008 and so forth.

Being gratious is great advice for sure. To engage is surely critical but I am worried that much engaging is extremely superficial when looking at it from across the Atlantic.

As a small business for me the question comes up about how much time this takes (see my Website above) and if I can trust all these efforts of engaging as I discussed here:

Susyn thanks for sharing.

Respectfully

Urs
    @ComMetrics

8. January 26, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Thanks for your comments. The article is about how Sandra Bullock conducts herself and that relates to how we should conduct ourselves through social media. Thanks for reading and sharing your comments.

-Susyn

9. February 1, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Susyn – this is great! You covered social media from a practical standpoint, and using Sandra Bullock as a fine example, and besides Ashley Judd, she’s my favorite actress :). Gratitude and being of service are key to life as well as career.

Cheers and Thanks,
    Bambi
    OutImpact.com – Making a positive impact in the gay community. Make yours.