Hi. My name is Susyn Elise Duris and I’m an actor. I’ll be writing a regular column about Marketing and Social Media from the viewpoint of an actor.
I have been very impressed with Sandra Bullock during the current awards season. While I don’t know whether she will win the Academy Award for her role in “The Blind Side”, she will definitely be nominated. Thinking about Sandra Bullock and how she has conducted herself through the awards season reminds me of how we should conduct ourselves as we navigate the social media waters.
As she has been picking up the Golden Globe, SAG and other awards for her work in “The Blind Side”, Sandra Bullock has been nothing less than genuinely grateful. Comments like “Thank you for making me proud and just accepting me” at the SAG Awards last night show that.
As social marketers, it is pertinent that we publicly show our gratitude. When someone shares something that you find interesting, someone retweets one of your tweets, someone reaches out to you, be grateful for that person and tell them so. That one thing will make you feel great, and earn you many respect points. Remember to be genuinely grateful – be grateful and don’t expect something in return.
Sandra Bullock donated $1,000,000 towards Haiti earthquake relief, has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to Warren Easton High School, New Orleans’ oldest high school, to recover from the flooding as a result of Hurricane Katrina and she has supported her husband, Jesse James, in his fight to retain custody of his daughter from a previous marriage, to name a few examples of her amazing generosity.
If someone needs assistance or advice, help them. If someone asks a question, engage with them. If someone puts something out there and you don’t know how to help, retweet them or pass on their request to your friends and colleagues. Share articles or other resources of interest. It’s the right thing to do.
Things that have always impressed me about Sandra Bullock are that she is prepared, she comes ready to work, she’s consistent and she’s engaging.
When you blog, are on Facebook Twitter, LInkedin or the many other social networks out there, remember to be professional…
- Do engage with others whether or not they engaged with you.
- Do set goals with social media – do you know what you want from social media and how you plan to get there?
- Do prepare how you will interact on social networks? And remember to always have the mantra “how am I adding value today?” on top of your mind.
- Do show others why you should be trusted and they will have a reason to engage with you. Make it easy for them to help you, remember “Help me help you” from Jerry Maguire? And, remember, to be consistent. The three things that will make you be remembered are being grateful, being helpful and being consistent.
- Do bring your A-game and be ready to work. Planting seeds and taking small steps today will lead to a great harvest tomorrow. Remember, to pace yourself with your social media play and don’t be impatient or rude when posting.
- Do remember to edit and review what you say prior to posting.
- Do have fun.
Remember to be gratious, help others and be professional and you’ll come across as a social media award winner!