Everyone has their own objectives when they begin or expand their virtual identity through blogs. Obviously, these objectives may vary from person to person. Planning helps bloggers to customize their approach in order to meet their respective blogs’ objectives.
Identification of Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOTs) involved is essential for deriving steps in the process of planning
SWOT Analysis is a strategic planning method used to evaluate the(SWOTs) involved in a project and/or business venture including blogs.
SWOT’s themselves are associated with two categories:
- Internal factors : Strengths and Weaknesses
- External factors : Opportunities and Threats
SWOT Analysis as applied to Blogging
Internal Factors: Internal factors in this case are mainly related to skills that a blogger possesses that will help them achieve the defined objective.
While analyzing internal factors identify all skills that are required and those that other successful bloggers possesses which help them in blogging. Among them the skills that you posses acts as strength while others acts as weaknesses (area where you need to develop your blogging skills).
One hypothetical individual, for example, might see him/herself as having the following blogging strengths and weaknesses:
- Personal exposure to details or rare views involved in your topic of your discussion
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization) skills.
- Technical expertise (knowledge of html, database, RSS etc.)
- Design skills (web designing, Photoshop etc).
- Creativity and Innovation
- Lack of blogging knowledge
- Previous failure or lack of knowledge about online marketing.
- Writing skills
External Factors: External Factors are related the environment in which the blogger exists. Certainly, some of these external factors may be the product of a blogger’s respective, customized strategy. Others may be universal to all bloggers and beyond an individual blogger’s control. One hypothetical individual might perceive his/her blogging as confronting the following opportunities and threats:
- Identifying and exploiting new trends in blogosphere.
- Joining a new network of people (influential)
- Exploiting knowledge and ideas of your existing network (feedbacks and suggestions)
- SEO Problem (change in blog ranking criteria on search engines)
- Lack of time to blog (very common due to work pressure)
- Technical problems (i.e. closing / ineffectiveness of a web community, server down time)
- Change in govt. policies. Restriction on publishing certain facts online i.e. media restrictions (e.g. media and internet restriction laid down by China) may be beneficial for those countries and bloggers need to be aware of them so that they don’t violate certain rules
Keep in mind that the individual factors composing SWOT — Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats — may themselves lead to generation of additional beneficial blogging strategies. So it is important not to dismiss factors until the elements of each are reviewed thoroughly. Use SWOT to meet your blog’s objectives!